The 'St George Slaying the Dragon' Bronze
Dominating the lower ward of Windsor Castle for over 500 hundred years St George's Chapel one of the most beautiful ecclesiastical buildings in England and is the home of the College of St George and the Order of the Garter. St George's Chapel shares the distinction along with Westminster Abbey of being not only one of the most revered hallowed Royal shrines of the British Monarchy, but also one of the most beautiful buildings of its kind in the world and is rich in English history.
In 1475-1485 under the medieval woodcarver William Blakely's direction the magnificent woodwork in the Choir was produced. At the end of each block of oak desks are ornamental tops or 'poppy heads' with each of the faces ornately carved with various stories. On the north side the stories are about the Passion and Resurrection of the Lord and on the south side are stories depicting St George and the life of the Virgin Mary. The carving on the poppy head alongside the Prince of Wales Stall in St George's Chapel Windsor is an original carving depicting St George the Patron Saint of England, for whom this historic Chapel at Windsor Castle has been dedicated.
Sculptor Ian G Brennan, who for the past fifteen years has been commissioned amongst other things to carve all the Crowns and Crests for the Chapel was asked to replicate the original medieval carved poppy head of 'St George Slaying the Dragon', and then produce in perfect detail a limited edition bronzes. Part of the proceeds of the sale of such a bronzes are to be used to help towards preserving the Fabric of this historic Chapel in Windsor Castle.
One morning a few hours before the Chapel was opened to the public, Ian moulded the original wood carving using a inert quick drying blue Alginate type moulding material. Within a few minutes this highly flexible moulding material had fully set and was carefully removed. Casting plaster was quickly mixed and pored into this simple mould and allowed to set..
Back in Ian's studio using photographs and the plaster copy of St George he had made in the Chapel as a guide, he could carefully replicated all the original fine carving in green and brown carving wax, closely following all the original design and detail once produced by the original medieval master carver.
From Ian's original wax master copy a silicon rubber mould was produced which would enable exact replicas of the bas-relief carving of the 'St George Slaying the Dragon' sculpture to be produced in green casting wax. From this casting wax following the traditional lost wax process the final bronze castings was produced at the Art foundry.
'St George Slaying the Dragon'
6 inches ( 150mm) and 3.75 inches (95mm) high
After several weeks work at the Foundry the completed replica of the original medieval woodcarving is finely chased, a patina added and then wax polished.
sculpture (UK) limited